A seriously delicious lentil soup in under twenty minutes.
Few people I know, like lentils. When I ask them why they don’t like them, the usual responses are “I don’t know” or “I grew tired of them as a kid”.
I have to admit, I didn’t like them much either when I was growing up. But I ate them and it was great preparation for the years ahead. As an adult I’ve seen difficult financial moments. times when the only groceries in the pantry where lentils. Now lentils are one of my favorite meals and probably my signature dish in the kitchen.
So, when life gives you lemons you make lemonade, set up a lemonade stand and become the ruler of lemonade land.
Life gave me lentils and here I share my world domination lentil soup recipe with you.
Ingredients for an epic lentil soup
- 5 Cups of water
- 1 Cup of lentils
- 1 Large potato (diced)
- 1 Medium carrot (diced)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 Small red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1/4 Cup fine chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp Secret Ingredient #1 (revealed in the directions below)
- Olive oil
- A pinch of Secret Ingredient #2 (revealed in the directions below)
- Balsamic vinegar
- Take your favorite pot and set it on the stove.
- Turn your stove on high.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to the hot-pot.
- When the oil is hot, add the chopped onions and allow them to slightly caramelize.
- Add the chopped red bell pepper.
- Add a 1/4 of water and allow to boil.
- Time to add the diced potatoes and carrots and let simmer for two minutes.
- Add the lentils and mix. Allow two minutes to absorb the flavours of the onion and bell pepper.
- Pour the remaining water and cover the pot until it comes to a boil. Once the water is boiling, turn the heat to low and take the lid off.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Now let’s incorporate a table-spoon of Secret Ingredient #1 Lizano Salsa (Costa Rica Sauce) and stir a little. Partially cover the pot, letting the steam come out and let it boil until the lentils are slightly covered with water.
- Sprinkle a pinch of Secret Ingredient #2 Herbes de Provence
. Stir and let the flavours soak in for one minute.
Pour in two beautiful handmade spanish bowls. Drizzle a little balsamic vinegar and sprinkle the fine chopped cilantro.
Serve with a nice red Argentinian Malbec on the backyard terrace and enjoy with your loved one to the sounds of the water fountain.
What is your variation of a lentil soup or the meal you enjoy preparing the most? Comment below.